Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Al dente


Cooking becomes an inseparable part of my life these days. I enjoy cooking, a lot. The entrée is not food, the entrée is friendship, the essence of the meal. Speaking of meal, preparing a meal is quite an art. Al dente is the word that I just learned. It’s an Italian term you will find on the outside of a pasta box. Al dente means pasta being cooked just right, most often use in cooking rice, pasta and vegetables, that the food is cooked to the ‘tender crisp’, still firm enough for resistance in a bite but cooked through. Frankly, I have not grasped such a skill yet. My vegetables are always under cook, as I like it crispy.

Time, is of an essence while cooking. It as well applies to every aspect of lives. I enjoy eating the food as much as I enjoy the process of cooking it. Watching the food being cooked and seeing how guests enjoy eating feels good. Sufficient time, moderate pace, orderly kitchen, well prepared ingredients, nice mix of guests, hearty sharing, and a few jokes. Lovely is the swirled chemistry results from a new mixture of ingredients and people. Al dente or overcooked? We will learn from groping. Putting new recipes and people on the table require some try outs to bring out the flavor of the food and the taste of the guest. Al dente is when it’s just the right mixture and timing.

No comments: