Wednesday, February 20, 2008

This vs. That

Now it happened as they went there He entered a certain village; and a certain woman named Martha welcomed Him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, who also sat at Jesus' feet and heard His word. But Martha was distracted with much serving, and she approached Him and said, "Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Therefore tell her to help me."

And Jesus answered and said to her, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things, But ONE thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her." Luke 10:39-42

My relationship with Jesus is often like the story of these two sisters.

left me to serve alone?
At times, the feeling is quite like Martha, keep thinking.. "Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to serve alone?" I always have such thought, where are everybody? Aren’t they supposed to serve like me? It is so easy to pick on who is not doing what and who's doing it incorrectly. God spoke through this passage… We don't need police at church, catching other's mistake and be self-righteous. This kind of mentality is deadly.

worried and troubled about many things.
There’re too much on the plate!!! What a common phenomenon we Christians are serving in multiple tasks. We worried and troubled about many things. Ministerial scope is dilated but not focus. A multiple ministerial server requires a concentrated heart to focus on prayer and let go of control and manipulation.

Sat at Jesus’ feet and heard His word
Often times, sitting down becomes a luxury activity. Sitting down seems symbolizing ineffective, inefficient and unproductive. It might be so if the sitting session is without a purpose. Sitting down at Jesus’ feet and hear His word means the whole world to us. Our presence at His feet is our greatest reliance. His word is our great comfort and wisdom to our life. His words give life.

Reflection that we ought to ask ourselves to our relationship with God while busily serving…
Is the “left me to serve alone?” question often asked in me?
Am I worried and troubled about many things?
Am I spending much time at Jesus’ feet and hear His word?
What is the ONE thing that I need that will not be taken away which worth my total attention now?

No comments: