Friday, March 6, 2009

Thoughts on Being Different

A week ago, the devotion from ‘Through the Bible Through the Year’ is about Samuel who was requested by the people of Israel to anointed them a king. Samuel has multiple roles being a priest, a prophet, and a judge to the Israelites. The scripture mentioned that the Israelites have no king in their heart, they do what is fit as they saw. Since the beginning, the governing that God has designed is nothing like monarchy of any kind. God, who is the king of the universe never see himself to us at a higher rank, but conversed with Moses and Abraham like a friend. It is the last thing that God would do to rule over the Israelites with a king. This passage is in and out of my mind throughout the week…

How fatigue it is to keep up with the trend, gauging myself with all others, just to fit in and be able to be recognized. Israelites’ mistake yesterday, is now my/our struggle today. God’s plan and His design on us are unique. From time to time, I trapped myself in such struggle. Whining and upsetting at myself and to God just because I am ‘different’. Hesitating at God’s and other’s love just because I felt that I am not treated equally. During the days of the Israelites, I bet they have similar thoughts. Rationalizing that God doesn’t love them, because they are left alone without a structured governing system like the other neighboring countries. Samuel the prophet, the priest and the judge, under tremendous pressure, has no other choice, but to ordain Saul as the first king and started the monarchy era.

Courage and faith are all it takes to be different. Being courageous to stand alone with no acquaintance of the same kind and being faithful to walk forward with unhesitant steps.

Dear Lord, being different is not secure at all, in terms of feeling.
Being different becomes too adventurous when I am weak in faith.
Being different requires lots of courage and faith.
But… being different is what you have in mind for me and for those who think they stand alone, please give us strength and endurance in proportion to the anxiety that arose with it. Amen.

No comments: